Sunglasses 😎
My safety topic is a short one about sunglasses. It turns out, I am fortunate to have good “distance” vision, but I need (and use) over-the-counter reading glasses. For this good-distance/poor-reading condition, I am pleased to state that Medicare, combined with my cataracts, terminated my life-long experience with nearsightedness when I chose the “distant” vision replacement lenses. This distance-vision condition means I can purchase, then misplace or break those really inexpensive, plastic-lens reading glasses. Heck, I have enough “reading pairs” laying around to the point where I have a pair of reading glasses at-the-ready in most rooms of my house and two pairs in the RV: One up front; One in the bedroom. But I digress. The distance-vision condition allows me to purchase low-to-mid quality (non-prescription) sunglasses for driving. A lesson learned some years back is that I enjoy the “graduated darkness” design glasses. They seem to be just right for most daytime driving, but the reduced shading (when looking downward) allows me to easily view the RV dash gauges … and perhaps more importantly, the RV camera-monitor screen. Other than trailers and 5th wheels, I think most RVs now come equipped with rear-looking cameras, with, perhaps, the addition of left- and right- viewing cameras whose view appears on the dash monitor when using the RV turn signals. One instance where I had regular (non-graduated) sunglasses on, I found that the RV monitor-screen was being darkened to the extent that I had to quickly slip off those glasses in order to safely see what my camera system was offering me. These regular sunglasses seem to work fine in a car, but ouch: Not so in my RV. So, as I mentioned above where I have “reading glasses in every room”, I have a pair of graduated sunglasses that are ALWAYS kept on the dash of the RV. But there are times when the darkness of the graduated lenses doesn’t seem to be enough (driving west of I-40 in late afternoon, for example). Several years ago, a thought popped into my brain: “Hey Robi, you should purchase some of those after-market, darkened, flip-down sun visors.” You know: These rectangular-shaped “visors” are sold, typically, so that they can be attached to your car’s existing sun visor. You can just flip them down to reduce sun glare but still maintain vision through them. Well, I purchased a pair that is stored on my RV dash. I removed the “flip down” hardware that they came with because that type of mounting would NEVER do in a RV. Next, I noticed that just one of these visors wasn’t dark enough, so I taped the two of them together to obtain double the darkness … but I can still see through them effectively. If I need to shield my eyes, a quick reach of my left hand to grab the “visors” … and I can safely continue to look forward at the road ahead. Safe travels y’all.
Robi
THINK
SAFETY
EVERYDAY!
Wishing everyone safe travels.
FRVA Dogwood Chapter

No comments:
Post a Comment