Monday, January 21, 2019

President's Message January 2019

January 2019

Hello Dogwood Family,

Susan and I hope that all of you had a wonderful Christmas and that your New Year is off to a great start. We had a good Christmas, saw all of our family at some point in time, and were able to get packed up and head to Florida on Jan. 3rd. As I write this article we are at Pensacola NAS. Nice campground and area, but to cold, so we are leaving early for Ft Meyers, then to Lake Okeechobee, on to TGO for the rally, and then hopefully to Patrick AFB  for most of February. Life is good.

Now for a little Dogwood business. First, I would like to again thank the Officers and Committee members who stepped up to serve for the next term. We have a good team and I look forward to working with all of you. And thank you Donna Hill and Pam Phillips for serving as our past Rally Master and Secretary, Super job. And welcome to all of our new members, we look forward to seeing you at future rallies.

Rallies for 2019 will be covered under Reid’s Rally Master article, but I wanted to remind all of you about the TGO rally inTitusville FL on January 30, and the FMCA Rally in Perry, GA March 13-17. Titusville is a beautiful area, and we can use all of the volunteers we can get to help at Perry. Come on down and have fun.

Please take the time to read and enjoy the numerous articles that follow, we think you will like what you see.

As we begin the new year, let’s remember and practice our motto “Fun, Food, and Friendship”. Susan and I look forward to seeing you at a rally soon.

Regards and SAFE travels,


VP Rally Report 2019

VP Rally Report 2019

  Hello All,
I would like to thank the Dogwood Chapter for allowing me the opportunity to act as your VP of Rallies for 2019/2020. In the coming months I will be reaching out to our members to help in the hosting of rallies throughout the year. Any members that would like to host a rally please let me know. I understand that at the Christmas Rally there were thoughts for rallies through the year already being discussed, which Jim addressed in his newsletter. If you have any ideas for rallies that were discussed or maybe one you would like to host, please feelfree to contact me.
Thank you for your time. Happy New Year!
Reid Saul

Reid w/ Antlers

Hello all,
A word from your VP of Rallies for Dogwood 2019… I have been tasked with helping put together rallies for our chapter through the year. We have some areas that are filling in and some that need help and hosts to make them happen. Here’s what we have so far:
January 30 - TGO Rally Titusville, FL. Hosts - Butch Jones and Connieand Ed Tilman. There will be a get together at Butch Jones’ house on the 30 th for Dogwood members that may be visiting during this time frame. Members that plan to attend will most likely not bring their coaches, but just drive there making it a day trip.
TGO (The Great Outdoors) does have a rally parking area which includes electric
and water for $30.00 per night. There is a dump site available.
If you would like to attend, please give Connie Tilman a call at 804-513-7274 or
send an email to TGO contact number is 321-269-5004.
February, I believe is pretty much open. If anyone wants to host a rally, please let
me know. Generally, most coaches have already been winterized or have made
their winter voyage to a more comfortable climate.

March 13-17, 2019 – FMCA Rally, Perry, GA. There is no GEAR rally this year
because our eastern Area is responsible for providing volunteers to help support
the FMCA rally. I believe that at the Christmas rally it was discussed that those
members that would be attending the FMCA rally would agree to volunteer as
Seminar Monitors. If you have any questions, please give Jim Buelow a call 757-
April is wide open. If anyone has any ideas for a rally, please let me know. Reid
Saul 804-539-7949 or
May 2019 - Blue Grass Festival – Hosts - Herberts and Kuikens. More info on the
dates, locations, fees to come.
June is also open for a rally if any members have any thoughts.

July 2019 - Northeast Area Rally, Syracuse, NY. This rally is not a Dogwood rally.
This rally is an area rally. Some of the Northeast Area folks attended and gave
assistance at our last GEAR rally. If you plan on attending, I’m sure that any
volunteer efforts offered would be greatly appreciated. The info on this rally can
be found in the FMCA magazine.
July is also open for a Dogwood rally. Suggestions? Any ideas, hosts, locations
would be great!

August 14-17, 2019 - FMCA National Rally, Minot, ND
August 25-Sept 5, 2019 Booth Bay, Maine rally - host Rich and Elle Bonewitz for
more info please give Rich a call at 301-481-6003 or Need to
make campground reservations early; they book up fast.

October 10-13, 2019 Virginia Wine Rally – host - Reid and Jennifer Saul. If there
are any Coast to Coast members in Dogwood that would be willing to assist us in
securing sites at Shenandoah Crossings that would be greatly appreciated.
I listed the dates as Oct 10-13 because, for those who would like to try out a nice
restaurant, Rochambeau in Gordonsville Thursday night is a thought. It’s
supposed to be excellent French cuisine. We would need to know sooner rather
than later, so reservations can be made as seating is limited.
Following the Wine Rally those that would like to transition from it, can travel to

Harpers Ferry, WV Oct 15-17, 2019 to a combined Dogwood and Penn Coachman
Rally. More info to come on this rally.

Nov 1-3, 2019 - Urbanna Oyster Festival – hosts - Berkley and Karen Alexander.

Dec 5-8, 2019 Christmas Rally - Reid Saul hosting, but I sure could use some more
hosts to join me. The rally is very well-attended. I have booked us back at
Americamps in Ashland, VA.
Please let me know if any Dogwood members would like to help host this rally
with me. Also, there is an invite once again to for those who would like to come
in on Thursday and go out to a nice place to eat that night. That’s still in the
works; we will see how many are interested.

Please if you have any ideas, suggestions. Hosts are always needed and If you
need any help with hosting your rally I’m here to help.
Reid Saul

TGO Rally 2019

TGO 2018 Rally


WHEN: Wednesday, January 30, 2019
WHERE:  Butch Jones' home
                 244 Addison Way
                Titusville, The Great Outdoors
TIME:      4:00 PM
HOSTS:  Butch Jones and Susie Bilbey
                                                                   Ed and Connie Tilman

Bring heavy hors d'oeuvres to share and your drinks.  Ed is going to grill burgers.

Several couples (Buelows, Schoolars, Chadwicks) are going to stay at The Great Outdoors.  If you want to join them, call the office directly for reservations at (321) 269-5004. There's water and electric in the rally sites.

Here is the current list of those planning to attend:  Jones plus one, Buelows, Tilmans, Schoolars, Sohles, Chadwicks, Phillip's, Alexander's, Allen's, Gruels, Spains, Halls and Fishers.  If you would also like to attend, call or text Connie at (804) 513-7274.

Butch will leave at the guard house a list of those attending for the day.  The guard will ask for ID and give you a pass.

If you have any questions, call Connie at the number above.

Looking forward to time together in Florida!


Perry Rally 2019

Perry FMCA Rally 2019

Jim Buelow & Judy Czarsty, Perry Ga. 2018

The FMCA Rally will be held in Perry, GA March 13-17, 2019. Our area, EAMA is responsible for providing volunteers to support this rally. At the Christmas rally, the members present who are planning on attending and are not involved in other activities agreed to volunteer as Seminar Monitors and go in to the rally as a group. If you were not at the Christmas rally, but plan on attending Perry and would like to volunteer, please indicate so on your registration form.

Here are the tentative plans so far. We will do a  Dogwood Chapter Fair on Wednesday and Block Party on Thursday at the rally. By participating in the Chapter Fair, we will receive $75.00 from FMCA to use for the Block party. We can spend as we like for food etc. More later on this.

If you plan on attending Perry either as a volunteer or not, please let me know so we have a list of all attendees.

If you are volunteering and would like to go in as a group, we can and would like to go in as a group on Monday March 11, 2019. We will meet in the waiting/staging area between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.and go in as a group at 1:00 p.m and park together.. For those needing a place to stay Sunday night March 10, we are allowed to dry camp in the staging area (Holding Parking Lot) for free. Finding a campground near Perry is already difficult because of the rally.

Note: If you plan to volunteer, please sign up (Register with FMCA Office, Phone 800-543-3622)) for 30 amp electric. There is an extra charge ($184) for this.

We will update info as we get it. Please call me if you have any suggestions or questions.


757 876-7399

Secretary's Report 2019

Secretary's Report 2019
                     Jean Herbert

Dogwood Business Meeting 
December 1, 2018 

Jim Buelow
• Called the meeting to order at 10 a.m. 
Thanked Rally hosts: Herbert's, Kuiken's and Thorpe's for a great job 
Welcomed new Members the Chadwick's, Joyner's, Meyer's and a guest,
Jean also welcomed the Warthans. It was good to have them join us again.
Jim also thanked outgoing officers; Donna Hill, Rally Master  Pam Philips, Secretary. Award pins will go to the officers that served. We lost 5-6 members and have a current membership of 47. $2336.49 in treasure. Paul will be transitioning out in the next 2 -3 years.  of for the National Meetin
and really needs our prayers and support. Butch is recuperating and doing well. Pam had surgery and is doing OK. Reid is recovering from surgery. 

Nominating Committee introduced for nominees to serve 2019 -2020 
President: Jim Buelow 
V. P. Membership: Pat Allen 
V. P. Treasurer: Pat Alle
V. P. Communications: Paul Cummings 
V.P. Rally's: Reid Saul 
Secretary: Patty Kuiken 
National Director: Ed Fishe
Alternate Director: Rich Bonewitz 
Appointed Positions: Safety Chairman- Butch Jones & Care Person-
A motion was made and passed unanimously for incoming board. Jim thanked
Membership: Pat Allen asked that all pay their dues today as she will be traveling.
VP. Communications: Paul Cummings discussed Newsletter and Directory issues.
National Director: Ed Fisher asked that if there are any issues to make him aware
Care Person: Susan Buelow reported that the Chair is going through a hard time

Buelow: our 25m anniversary with Dogwood will be in be in two years and we need
think of how we would like to celebrate. Discussion ensued and Walt
Greenwood suggested Dogwood $ be taken out of Treasury for celebration
Buelow: suggested a 50/50 raffle as a fundraiser at every rally, passed. 
Ed FisherMade a motion to increase dues to $15 a year beginning 2020, it was
second by Rich Bonewitz and passed unamiously. Jim Buelow suggested free
lifetime membership to charter members; Tilmans, Warthams and Chuilli.
Discussion ensued; Wilt Greenwood made a motion and Paul Cummings 2no,
Motion passed unanimously 
Dogwood was featured in the December FMCA magazine with a group picture.
Eastern Area Regional V.P.: Rob Hill was elected Eastern V.P. There will not be a
EAR Rally for 2019 but we are hosting the Perry Rally. Members Agreed those
going to Perry would volunteer as Seminar Monitors, also agreed to getting 30
amps. They need 700 volunteers for the Rally
Dogwood received 3ra place at GEAR Rally for the Chapter Fair. 
ByLaws: Are in the process of being updated and changes will be in near future.
New Rigs: Herbert's, Bonewitz, Meyer's, Sholar's, Thorpe's, Green's (new engine),
and Warthen's
Rally Master: Donna Hill thanked Jim and Susan Buelow for all of their help and
suoport. She also thanked last year's rally hosts. Discussion ensued for next years
rally schedule: Butch Jones is planning a rally in Feb., Florida; March will be the
FMCA Rally in Perry GA; Jim Buelow mentioned a possible Cherry Town D.C. in
April. Jean Herbert and Patty Kuiken will host a Blue Grass Rally in May; July 25-
possible rally in Syracruze N.Y.; Bonowitz will host the Lobster Rally in August,
aine. 1st Weekend in November Oysterfest Alexanders. Decision was made not
to have a rally the American Campground again. Possible October Rally's Railroad;
Joint Penn Coachman; Ville- Harpers Ferry, and Shenandoah Crossing Gordonsville, VA. 
Meeting Concluded. 
Minutes Respectfully Submitted, Patty Kuiken, Acting Secretar

Family Motor Coach Association Dogwood Chapter Business Meeting 
American Heritage Campground, Williamsburg VA 
December 2, 2018 Minutes

Having confirmed the presence of a quorum, President, Jim Buelow (“Jim”), called the meeting to order at 9:08 a.m. Jim requested a vote for Nominating Committee members to serve for the next two years. Proposed members were: Buck Buchanan, Chairman; Rich Bonewitz, member; and Henry Kuiken, member. By unanimous vote, the Dogwood Chapter members approved the proposed Nominating Committee members for the 2019- 2020 term. Jim explained that a new secretary needed to be elected. On a motion by Henry Kuiken, seconded by Rich Bonewitz, the Dogwood Chapter members unanimously approved Jean Herbert as secretary for the 2019-2020 term. Jim reminded the group that all rally hosting costs come out of the rally registration fees. Rally hosts are not personally responsible for covering the cost of food, prizes, etc. Susan Buelow asked all members see her about signing a card for the Chuillis. Pat Allen reminded everyone that their annual chapter dues need to be paid by December 31, 2018.
The meeting was closed at 9:12 a.m. 

Respectfully submitted,
Jean Herbert Acting Secretary

Treasurer Report January 2019

Treasurer Report January 2019

The current balance in the Dogwood account is $2665.49.

If you haven’t paid your 2019 dues, please send a $10.00 check to:

Pat Allen
9507 Lakewater Court
Henrico, VA 23229

Thank you,


National Director's Report January 2019

National Director's Report January 2019
Ed Fisher, National Director               

July seems far away, but it will slip up on us unnoticed, so I need to begin  to prepare for the FMCA National Convention now.

As your National Director, it is my responsibility to be your conduit to the "home office". This is a two way deal. I need your input to the board meeting, and I am to communicate board meeting results to you. To prepare, I am requesting you to advise me of any concerns you wish to be addressed in the meeting, or any questions I need to ask on the Dogwood Chapter's behalf. I am starting my file early and can take an emails in this regard at any time. My email address is As July draws nearer, we will have a slate of officers and I will communicate that info to you for comments.
Ed Fisher

Care Person Report 2019

Care Person Report

I just wanted to provide you with an update on two of our families who are grieving.

As you know, Bob Chuilli passed away on November 30, 2018. On December 5, a Good-Bye to Bob was held in his memory. The Alexander’s, Buelow’, Cumming’s, Greenwood’s and Tilman’s attended Bob’s final farewell, and Carol and family were very appreciative that their Dogwood friends were there. Jim spoke with Carol on January 9th. She continues her rehab for double knee replacement and hopes to be driving by the end of the month. She is slowly settling family affairs which she said has been difficult. She is taking things one day at a time and doing the best she can. A card was sent to the Chuilli family and a donation will be provided to a charity of the families choice.

As you also may know,Dillon Joyner, youngest son of recently new members Roland and Brenda Joyner died unexpectedly on December 31, 2018. Jim spoke with Roland on January 1st to offer our condolences.A card along with a donation to the families charity of choice was sent to the Joyner family.

Please keep the Chuilli’s and Joyners in your thoughts and prayers, and reach out to them if you wish.

And please let me know if someone in our family is sick, suffering, or in need.

Thank you,


Humor Update 2019

1. You’re reading this right now.

2. You’re thinking this is a stupid fact.

4. You didn’t notice I skipped 3.

5. You’re checking now.

6. You’re smiling.

7. You’re still reading this even though it’s stupid

9. You didn’t realize I skipped 8.

10. You’re checking again and smiling about how you fell for it again.

11. You’re enjoying this.

12. You didn’t realize there is only supposed to be 10 facts.

Is an Electric Power Motorhome in Your Future?

Is an Electric Power Motorhome in Your Future?

By Butch Jones

1909 Baker Car Company
Hybrid and total Electric Vehicles have been around for a while now, the first is said to have been the Lohner-Porche Mixte Voiturette. It was introduced at the 1900 World’s Fair in Paris. It was a totally electric vehicle. In 1909 the Baker Car Company introduced an all-electric car which had a range of 100 miles.

The first hybrid was introduced in 1915 by the Owens Company. It was the Owens Magnetic. So we can see they go back in history, yet they have not become the norm.

Two areas that have resisted electrified drive systems are over-the-road trucks and recreational vehicles. Both have had attempts made to use electricity however, neither has had much progress. Tesla is working on an electric road tractor but Cummins beat them to the market with the introduction of the all-electric big rig called the AEOS. It is said to be as powerful as a 12 liter diesel and capable of pulling a 44,000 pound load, it has a range of 100 miles. Cummins is going to offer a range extender to increase that distance. Recharging is said to take about an hour. The Tesla vehicle was to be introduced by the end of 2017 but I have not seen anything indicating that it has hit the market yet.There are several European manufacturers that have concept vehicles. Nicola One has an Electric-Hydrogen type of hybrid that could be a player as it has a range of 800-1200 miles and can maintain its speed on grades as well as having the horsepower and torque required for over-the-road operations.

The recreational vehicles have been the target of some very innovative people who have created several hybrid and all-electric motorhomes. In the past and there are several U-Tube videos on how to convert your motorhome to energized matter propulsion. There are some conversions on the road today as shown in the photo below. The main issue I see with electric vehicles is the charge time, battery life if the vehicle is not used and cost of battery replacement. We all know what happens when we do not use our motorhomes for a while. The batteries are unwilling to start the vehicle. Motorhome owners are accustomed to plugging their vehicles in but I believe that the driving recharge time, mileage range and cost of battery replacement will have to come down considerably before we see a line at the Flying J recharge ports.

Two European innovations are the German company Dethleffs has built the Caravan Salon e.home Type C motorhome. It is powered and operated totally by electricity. This vehicle uses a plethora of solar panels as seen in the photo below. The chassis is an Ivco Daily Express.  On the right is the French Green Cat Technologies Scarabane. It is a travel trailer that is setup on a circular metal gear ring. It uses solar panels and a rooftop reflector to find the sun and rotate the trailer when expanded so the solar panels are always using available sunlight. It has a wind turbine for those windy cloudy days. It is said to produce 3000 watts of power which is apparently enough for French campers. 
German, Caravan Salon e.home
French Green Cat

For now we can enjoy our fossil fuel homes away from home and the joys of being “On the Road Again”.