Tuesday, March 10, 2020

MaintenanceTip by Jim Buelow


Avoiding Disaster, Maintenance Tip by Jim Buelow, March, 2020
Jim & Susan Buelow


I write this article with my head hung low, I am truly embarrassed, but sharing it with you may help someone else in the future.
I have always prided myself in checking fluid levels and tire pressures on a regular basis. 
While in FL, we set up on a dry site. Once parked I cranked the generator for power, but the house batteries were dead. Jumped the batteries and let them charge for awhile. No charge. Checked the batteries and put over 1 gallon of water in 2 batteries. So much for my pride in always checking fluid levels. After filling with water, I let them charge for 24 hours. Still no charge.
When I pulled the battery cover off to check the batteries again, they were both VERY HOT and one of them was smoking. I replaced both batteries and all was well. 
But here’s the scary part. I had not originally planned on checking the batteries again for another 24 hours, but thank GOD I did. If I hadn’t, there is no doubt we would have had an explosion or fire or both, and very possibly lost our coach and been seriously injured or worse.
And it was all MY BAD. Don’t do as I did. Check your levels and replace parts if needed. It might save your coach and the life of you and your loved one.


Humbly Submitted
Jim Buelow
  

Most Viewed Posts in Last 30 Days