Tuesday, January 10, 2012

President's Message


Greetings Dogwooders,


Best wishes for good times in your 2012 travels.  It's that time of the year when many of us hit the road looking for better weather than we typically have at home during the winter months.  Carolyn and I are in Florida.  The sun is shining, temperatures are in the mid 70's, I'm sitting outside enjoying the fresh air.   I considered reading but instead, I have my computer on my lap, my head phones on and iTunes open listening to music.  It doesn't get much better than this.  I have a rather extensive iTunes library of nearly 20K songs and often find it fun to choose a theme for listening.  Today I'm thinking about travels so decided to search for music to match.  A search for travel in my music library turns up 53 songs, many of which conjure up memories of the past.  For example, the lyrics of "As We Travel Along On The Jericho Road" by Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, and Jerry Lee Lewis recorded Dec 4, 1956   leads me to question whether I should have carried a heavier load through life.  Have I made the contribution that I could have?  It also brings back memories of my favorite song from the 1950's, Jerry Lee Lewis' "You Win Again".  I tortured my poor mother with this song by playing it over and over and over again on my 45 record player.  I wonder if anyone else did things like this?  To see if anyone reads this, I'm offering a special prize to the first Dogwood member to identify the song on the flip side of the Jarry Lee Lewis record. Hint:  The record was a huge hit and the prize is guaranteed to be something that will be cherished.  Back to the songs, another one that caught my eye was "traveling without Deodorant" but I think I won't go there!


Again, best wishes for the new year and Travel Safe.  We'll see you on the outer banks in the spring if not before.

Most Viewed Posts in Last 30 Days