Saturday, October 17, 2009

Bylaw Revisions and Standing Rules

Dogwood Chapter Bylaws require a minimum of 30 days notice prior to voting on changes to the Bylaws. For our members who have been in our business meetings this year, you know that I think we need to update our Bylaws to (1) clarify the wording of the terms of officers (2) eliminate the position of newsletter editor position since we no longer produce a news letter per se and replace it with the position of Vice President Communications which more clearly identifies the nature of the job and (3) incorporate wording from FMCA's bylaw guidelines.

For any members who are not aware, standing rules are intended to compliment our bylaws by documenting in further detail such things as officers responsibilities, general policies and procedures etc .

As far as I’ve been able to determine, Dogwood has never had any standing rules but in my opinion, we need to adopt standing rules to offer guidance to the current slate of officers and those that follow. I’ve written the standing rules to cover the areas of operation that I feel need to be documented. While the chapter has operated successfully for the past ten years without documented procedures, it seems to me the likelihood of continued success is much improved by documenting how we expect the chapter operate in a few key areas.

I’ll present both the revised Bylaws and proposed standing rules at our next scheduled Dogwood Chapter business meeting in VA Beach on Saturday, December 5, 2009. In the meantime, I’m requesting that all members please review the proposed revised Bylaws and standing rules. If you have any concerns or suggestions, I welcome them, but please contact me so that any issues may be resolved prior to the business meeting.

Please click on these links to view the proposed bylaw revisions and standing rules.

Thanks for your thoughts and assistance,

Mann Duff

No comments:

Most Viewed Posts in Last 30 Days