Friday, January 18, 2013

Message from the VP of Rallies


I am pleased to announce that the 2013 rally schedule is now complete.  I have to take my hat off to previous VP's of rallies.  It is a very arduous process and I have a lot to learn. 

In the process, I tried to block off rally facilities with meeting space before they were reserved by other clubs.  I also tried to insure that rallies did not coincide with other events and holidays.  The only exception is the FMCA national rally since only 2 coaches are attending.  Also, if you click on the hyper link by each campground you will find information pertaining to that rally. 

Since Solomons Island was so popular in 2012, I have asked Richard Bonewitz to try to make reservations for 2014.  He has assured me that he was up to the task.  Because of scheduling conflicts, I was unable to schedule the new campground in Roanoke Rapids that was suggested by the Buelows.  Since it looks like a great facility, I would like to re-schedule for 2014.

I would like to bring to your attention 2 new venues for 2013.

  1. Cool Breeze CG near Galax, VA - I found this quaint campground that is a favorite of bluegrass music lovers and other RV clubs.  The CG has nice amenities, as well as being close to Galax.  On Saturday there is a barbecue cook off in Galax along with craft vendors.  That night there is a concert on the parkway. On Friday night there is a live radio broadcast from the Rex Theater in Galax. I'm sure we will have a busy weekend with plenty of activities in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
  2. Pirateland Family Camping Resort in Myrtle Beach, SC - I found that locating a CG in Myrtle Beach to be a real challenge.  The big problem was locating one that was close to the beach, had reasonable rates and didn't charge for the use of facilities.  Pirateland solved all of the criteria.  We have 20 sites blocked off together, right on the beach.  We do however, need to make reservations buy July 1st, in order to reserve the 20 site block.  There will be more information to follow.  This looks like a great beach get-a-way.
 Things for your consideration:
  • I would ask that no more that 2 couples host a rally, except Christmas.
  • There are always plenty of members willing to lend a hand.
  • We still need hosts for Myrtle Beach and Luray.
  • We also need a happy hour host for GEAR.
  • Campground fees will be finalized next year after they adjust their annual rates.
  • Rally fees will be announced by the host, prior to the event.
I would like to wish our Alaska Caravan members safe travels.  I hope when you return, you will find time to attend some of our local rallies.  We are all looking forward to the "stories" and I am confident that there will be many. 



Dennis Reid

Most Viewed Posts in Last 30 Days